Pages

May 14, 2007

Welcome!

Ok, I admit it. I have jumped on a bandwagon. It's called GTD.

I hate self-help books. I hate business books. Yet I recently read a self-helpy businessy book called Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. Go ahead, Google "GTD" and you'll see what I mean about a bandwagon. There's a great summary and good links on the Wikipedia entry for Getting Things Done, but of course, you should read the book to get the full effect.

I will have you know I read it with a very skeptical eye because of the above-mentioned prejudices, but it was recommended by Merlin Mann (43folders.com) who I went to college with. I figured I'd give it a try. Merlin mentions the applicability of the book to creative types and "knowledge workers" and I don't know a better way to categorize teachers.

On his website, Merlin also mentions that he's not fond of folks who create blogs (I'm still not a hundred percent comfortable with that word) and just re-post from other blogs. Well, he might not like this one. I promise a certain amount of original writing, but I also want to link to some great productivity and teaching sites. Send in any ideas as well.

That's one of the best things about teaching. Everyone is cool about sharing everything. Every experienced ninja teacher wants to help out the less experienced teacher "grasshoppers."

Assignment One: Do that Google search and let me know what you think.