July 27, 2008

Better Grading

I wanted to point out two thought-provoking posts that came across the transom about grading. The always-wonderful MS Teacher found a great video clip of a Dr. Reeves telling us why we should just stop giving zeroes.

Over at the lovely What's It Like On the Inside, we have a good rundown on ways to Advance the Gradebook. Use Exel and other options to graphically represent your student data and student achievement can apparently rise 26%.

see also: Just Give Them the Answers


3 comments:

Paul Bogush said...

Just left this comment on her blog:
Amazing how you can find all sorts of research on the damaging impact of grades but yet we are still compelled to give them. 99% of the time grades are used as a form of coercive classroom management.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks for the comment and love your blog! I hate grades and grading. I think it should be all rubrics. I even went to a college (New College of Fl) that didn't have grades. You got either a "satisfactory," "unsatisfactory," or "incomplete."

The Science Goddess said...

Thanks for the "shout out." I can send you the link for my grading wiki, but I don't have an e-mail addy for you (and am not finding contact info for you here). Drop me a line at "the_science_goddess[at]yahoo[dot]com" and I'll send you the URL.