September 11, 2008

The Book Thief



The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.  Simply put, this is a masterpiece.  A big, overarching tale including many characters and, well, WWII, but presented in an intimate and absorbingly detailed way.  I both read it (there are many visual elements) and listened to the amazing audio adaptation.  Even though the narrator (Death himself) lets you know early on what's going to happen--"I'm spoiling the ending," he says somewhere in the middle--I found myself weeping as that ending came.  A beautiful, cathartic work.   A celebration of the power of words, which if you think about it, is everything.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I went to an author event with Marcus Zusak last year during the Jewish Book Festival - he was a very good speaker- and it was very interesting to hear about how some of the things in the book came about.

he is also pretty cute - lol!

Teacherninja said...

Awesome. Have you read any of his other work?

ms-teacher said...

This is one of my very favorite books. It is one that I have to re-read soon! Thanks for reminding me ;)

Josette said...

I wept a number of times during the story. I laughed too. Zusak's such a talented writer. I'm looking forward to reading his other book, I am the Messenger. :)

Teacherninja said...

Thanks, guys. This was certainly a great book to finish off my "pleasure reading" time now that grad school has kicked in.

podblack said...

He's a nice guy in real life. Not just because he's a local lad. :)

podblack said...

Oh, it's 'The Messenger'. A lot of his work is teen-orientated, with 'The Book Thief' being his first 'adult' novel. Didn't stop us for using it for Year 11 English classes though! :)

Diana from Decatur said...

I literally just got back from Tall Tales books (I had a gift certificate) and looked at this book, thought it sounded familiar, then walked right by it. Next time!

Teacherninja said...

It's a great book, thanks for all the comments.. I'm just sorry I don't have the time to give it a longer review. Perhaps next month when my book club does it.