September 23, 2008

That Kid

I don't have advice for Tracy's friend.  I like what she said about connecting with just one of those kids and working from there.  I have That Kid in one of my groups.  He's the one that I expect any day to be gone because he must be about to be transferred into special ed., right?  I mean there's no way you can be that hair-triggered and disruptive, that button pushing and not have something wrong with you.  I always have to keep my thumb on him.  I've been trying to think of a way to connect with him and have come up empty-handed.

Yesterday that class was cancelled due to the never-ending testing.  He came to my room anyway.  "No class today," I said, not even looking up.

"Oh.  Sorry," he said.  "Hey, look at this."

I looked up and he was holding up one of the little paper citizenship awards we pass out for good behavior.  I tried not to sound too surprised when I asked, "What did you do?"
 
Another student had gotten hurt on the playground.  Our beefy friend here had given the kid a piggy back ride all the way to the clinic in the front of the building.  I got a chance to say something positive and wish him a good week.  Connection made! (I hope).

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I would say yes, definitely, a first connection has been made. Congratulations! What I have learned is that these connections need constant stoking. Usually the kids who we have such difficulty connecting with are the ones who need it the most. I love them - don't care how corny it sounds.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks, tracy, and I agree. Why is it that the ones that drive us the craziest STILL manage to connect with us? I usually LIKE these squirrelly kids. A fiend, in her first year of teaching, got mad at a kid and actually told him to shut up. She felt bad about it forever. At the end of the year he told her she'd been his favorite and still visited her for years. You just never know, I guess.