May 18, 2009

Countdown


We're taking our six-year-old to the Land of a Thousand Princesses, Team Rat, also known as the Magic Kingdom this Saturday. For a week.

I know.

But today? Today I'm home from school with her because she has strep-like symptoms and I'm not taking chances. I'm pouring the amoxicillin down her gullet to make sure she's well and not infecting any of her beloved princesses!

The amount of stuff we have to do to be ready for this trip the day after post-planning is kind of crazy. Good thing My Lovely Bride is better at logistics than most generals in the field. She's already laid out everything in the guest room and has been stocking up on needed items. I, meanwhile, have been plowing my way through The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World which I definitely recommend. They have a website as well that makes custom itineraries for your visits.

For most vacations I think winging it is fine. For Disney I think it's better to have a plan. We'll see in a few days.

I'll be toting the laptop to the hotel for the occasional stab at grad school work, but I doubt I"ll blog much--if at all. I'll be sure to update when we return.

I'm sure I'll need medical assistance myself when we get back if only to surgically remove the Disney music earworms from my brain. It's a small world after all.

(photo cc flickr)

9 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

It made me feel somewhat better that Ray Bradbury was a huge proponent/fan of Disney World/Land when they were first being built, but I still couldn't take my family. You are a better person than I am, Teacher Ninja.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks, Ms. Yingling. I'll try to make the best of it.

Rosco Tango Baker said...

Safe travels.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks Roscoe!

Rosco Tango Baker said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the politics involved with the Happiest Place on Earth, I'm pretty sure your little girl is gonna come up just fine.

In my way of thinking, I'd rather have my child exposed to something (within reason, of course) and then have a talk about it.

Again, safe travels and I hope you all have a blast - you can de-program the family when you get home ;-)

doug0077 said...

Ninja,

The Unofficial Guide has been my lifesaver (I HATE lines) on multiple trip to MouseLand. Follow the itineraries in the back to the letter. Its descriptions of the rides in terms of darkness, scariness, nausea creation etc. is spot on and a good way to help kids determine their own comfort level.

I have to say I wanted to hate the place, but I've always loved every visit.

Just don't plan on coming home any money.

Have fun!

Teacherninja said...

Doug,

I'm sure I'll enjoy it with my own little princess (and yes, I have all of their touring plans ready to go.

I know I'll be broke when I return, but that's ok. We'll spend the rest of the summer filling in the little Disney scrapbook she's already picked out.

Thanks!

MotherReader said...

Yes, definitely have a plan - and yet be prepared to be flexible. We've gone twice and I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it was a stress-free vacation by any means.

Try to avoid the current trend of collecting autographs of the characters. It's a HUGE time suck.

Teacherninja said...

MotherReader,

Thanks for those tips! I think we've scheduled enough character "face time" to be able to avoid the autogrph lines.

Thanks again!