May 8, 2009

Shutter Island

So I finished my final projects for the semester and decided to get back to some fiction for a change.  The cool thing about this book was that I picked it up at a used book store and then found out a week later that my book club had chosen it for their next meeting.

On the back cover someone blurbs that it's part Agatha Christie and part Stephen King.  I found it more along the lines of a Hitchcockian thriller but it was pretty good just the same.

I'm just glad I didn't look up the movie stuff before I read it.  I'd heard Scorsese was making it and that sounds about right, but I would have never pictured the people they've cast--not that that's a bad thing.  That's why books are usually better than movies.  It'll be interesting to see how the film turns out but it was a fun read.

But not tonight.  Tonight is for Star Trek.

3 comments:

toni said...

I have never read Lehane, but have seen 2 movies based on his books that I really liked. He really loves Boston & its people and captures their culture well.

Doret said...

I love Lehane's writing. And he threw down hard with his last novel Given Day. Half the mysteries comparisons to Agatha Christie novels make no sense. I wonder if reviewers simply put popular author names in a hat and hope for the best.
And Toni as much as you love the Wire, you haven't read Lehane

Teacherninja said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. I'll definitely put more Lehane on my TBR pile.