Pages

July 21, 2009

Girl Power

A commenter asks, in reference to my Wait Till Helen Comes post: "This is the last book my 11-year-old niece read and RAVED about. She's not a big reader. She will visit for 2 weeks next month and I want to turn her on to reading in a big way. Based on your knowledge of this book, can you recommend any titles at a similar level that might be good to read aloud and feature a strong girl heroine? They need to be fun and engaging enough to keep her wanting more."


Well there's always more Mary Downing Hahn! What else...

Let's see...off the top of my head I'd show her...

The White Giraffe by Lauren St. John
Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac
the Princess Academy books by Shannon Hale
Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman (which I just read, will post soon)
Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Any other recommendations, Internet?