September 6, 2009

"He's a teacher! He's a teacher!"


Oh man oh man has Dragon*Con been cool this year. I'll post more about it later, obviously, But I had to mention one amazing moment. Now remember, I'm going mostly for the skeptical and science tracks because along with reading, I'm a big critical thinking ninja. When I went over to one of the Skeptic tables, mostly to introduce myself to Kylie and as soon as I said the words "I'm a teacher..." it was like an alarm sounded and the three people behind the table started rushing about, stuffing a tote full of free educational critical thinking information, shouting the quote above.

Is it sad that I was so surprised to have people excited about my profession? I just can't remember anything like that happening before.

It was a great day yesterday. I met and talked with some amazing scientists and educators and learned a ton about how to get the critical thinking message across to kids and other people. And it was fun. I think that's the key...

7 comments:

Harrell Elizabeth said...

That is amazing! People are usually not at all excited about teachers! Keep the info coming!!!

skepticdad said...

The reason the people at the table were after him was because they were trying to promote criticalteaching.org. Check it out!

Thanks for being my wing man and having some sushi with me. It was good company!

Teacherninja said...

Thanks H.E.--don't worry, I won't shut up about it!

And skeptidad, no no, thank YOU! It's was a blast. And I posted about CTEG today and will be adding more links in the sidebar as soon as I can.

Podblack said...

Whoot! We met! Honestly, I think we were so overjoyed that there were MORE TEACHERS there! :D I got kind of really depressed about how education seemed to be 'touted' by so many skeptics, yet the formal qualifications in education proper were seriously lacking. There was even a panel on 'critical thinking teaching' which had no real information on how to make it applicable in one of the most vital institutions of learning we have - schools.

Promoting CTEG is sure, one thing, that we were keen on - but getting to network in general is the important thing. I knew of Teacherninja before CTEG and was sodding glad that we had some presence at a skeptic-featuring convention. I really want to have more teachers and more parents and more discussion in the future... PLEASE consider signing on to be on panels! :)

badrescher said...

Yes! Yes! More teachers on panels and more panels on education and critical thinking!

I'm a little biased, though. I was one of those screamers.

We'll be making some changes to the CTEG website to balance manageability with accessibility. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to jump in!

Teacherninja said...

Podblack: I was sodding glad as well! But I have no idea how to get on panels.

badrescher: I just added you and the skeptical teacher to my feed reader--thanks!

Podblack said...

I can help! Let me know if you're going to be there, I'll talk to Derek. :)