September 3, 2009

I Like Big Books and I Cannot Lie



Booking Through Thursday's question this week is: What's the biggest book you've read? They seem to mean either big as in long or big as in popular.


Big as in popular: I just checked out the Amazon top 100 bestsellers to see if I'd read anything on there and was surprised to find I'd read four, though none are really recent. The Time Traveller's Wife is probably enjoying a resurgence due to the crappy (so I've heard) film version. The Book Thief is the one I've read most recently (and probably the best of this bunch). Blink was light but enjoyable. Nickled and Dimed was great and getting more timely by the minute.


Big as in doorstoppers: I guess Neil Stephenson's Cryptonomicon was the most recent big fat novel I've read and that was a while ago. Great, fun stuff. I've also re-read Pullman's His Dark Materials, which I consider to be one complete and brilliant story. (Although I've heard through the ninja grapevine there's going to be a fourth!)

(photo cc flickr)

9 comments:

Susan B. Evans said...

The Time Traveller's Wife made it onto my list as well :) Here's my BTT.

Bluestocking said...

I primarily listed chunksters. Here is mine

gautami tripathy said...

I prefer to read BIG boks..by that I mean heavy reads!

Booking through Big

Tricia said...

Can I just say that your title made me laugh out loud? (And sing along ...)

toni said...

Because I love you and your book choices, I will forgive this blogpost title.

alitareads said...

A fourth Dark Materials book?! Could it really be??

Your title made me chuckle :)
BTT

Teacherninja said...

Thanks for all the comments, but Toni and Tricia: I can't take credit for the title, I saw it on this T-shirt someone needs to buy me http://shop.cafepress.com/design/24982904

C. B. James said...

A fourth Dark Materials book!!! Say it isn't so....

I love them but that story was finished. I hate it when they decide to go on and on....

Diana in Decatur said...

I agree with C.B. James about the 4th his Dark Materials book. I wouldn't mind if it were an expanded take on some minor characters, but I don't want to read about Lyra grown up!