October 19, 2009

Become Change


"What I believe is that all clear-minded people should remain two things throughout their lifetimes: Curious and teachable."






See, first Doug Johnson and Joyce Valenza wrote this amazing article: Things that Keep Us Up at Night.

Then there was some grumbling about those "absent from the debate."

It's an interesting point, but the comments on that thread are what this is all about. Those absent from the debate are clearly choosing to be.

Buffy Hamilton says she is Refuting Inertness. Yes! I especially like her quote from this post by Oliver Blanchard. He's talking about the types of people that can manage things with all the contingent problems:

"It takes a special kind of person to be able to a) do that kind of work well, and b) love every minute of it.

It isn’t for everybody.

Excuses and blame don’t exist in this little world. There’s only what you did and what you didn’t do.

Sometimes, even the best laid plans just go awry.

For most people, that’s not a good thing…

…and for some of us, that’s when the real fun begins."


Yes!

I also liked what Carolyn Foote had to say when it seemed like the debate was between those embracing technology and those not: "I don't think it's an either or" and she's right. It's not an either/or about just the technology tools.

It's about change. That's the real either/or. Either you embrace change or you don't. "Change" should define the library. Change and curiosity.


(image cc flickr)

5 comments:

Cathy Nelson said...

Thanks for another great "take" on an amazing and exciting conversation in the blogosphere. Ive been sharing with my state's colleagues who are still stuck on the listserv mode of communication, sharing these posts and encouraging the visitors to read not only the posts but also the comments. (DANG SLJ for no comments feed--PLEASE.)

Just today one contacted me to help her get some sites unblocked--wanted to have a real idea about how to go ask for a site to be unblocked.

Cathy Nelson said...

Forgot to add I REALLY think that request shows progress and that this conversation is resonating like it should.

PS--where is your comments feed Teacherninja???? I'd like to subscribe to that feed too. :)

Teacherninja said...

Thanks, Cathy! And the comment feed is in the right hand scrollbar, just below the tag cloud...

the unquiet librarian said...

Jim, you hit the nail on the head with the wonderful quote at the beginning of your blog post! Your spirit of openness and sharing is inspiring to me. I so appreciate your blog and still look back at how graciously you showed me one of my favorite toys, Google Moderator.

Rather than seeing change as something to dread, I agree we should eye it as a grand adventure and let us see where it can take us.

Thanks for this refreshing and inspiring post!

Best,
Buffy

Teacherninja said...

Aw, shucks. I've definitely learned a lot from you as well. I'm even rethinking my "first adopter" stance. I don't know that all SLMSs need to actually adopt everything first, but we definitely need to be aware, engage and know what these things are for and can do so we can help others interact and make decisions on them. I'm sure that when I get a job I'll be pestering you with many questions. Thank YOU!