Pages

April 28, 2011

Inventory, Day Two plus

It went better than I expected.  We finished Tuesday afternoon.  Then I printed out the list of "Lost" and "Unaccounted for" books.  Then I called my mentor to see how bad that was.  "That's the first question everyone wants to know," she laughed.  But yes, my numbers were apparently in the normal range so nothing too drastic to worry about.

One thing I learned is that with the software today you can still have circulation going while you do inventory.  We didn't just because it seemed like a good idea to have everything frozen where it was as we did it, but it's good to know we don't have to close up shop.

Testing week seemed a good time to do it.  Some schools do it on parent/teacher conference days because the school closes early for two days and there's little activity.  One intrepid librarian I know says came in on a Saturday since she needed to make up Snow Day hours anyway and that it was nice to do at least part of it in the quiet of a closed building with no interruptions.  Hmmm.  That's a good idea...

Now I need to go have a few chats with teachers who don't think checking out professional materials and videos seems to be necessary...