January 6, 2012

"What is AR?"

That was from a comment I got on the blog recently.  Since I'm participating in the 2012 Comment Challenge, I'm getting some great comments and questions from some new faces.

I won't go into another diatribe about AR (Accelerated Reader) now because I've done that here and here and here's a good one.

Basically it's an expensive commercial reading incentive program with little research to back it up.  Better to spend money on interesting books kids want to read which is a better incentive in itself.

Keep the comments and questions coming!

Thanks,
Jim

6 comments:

Beth said...

I'm shocked! AR is lists! It's for kids who love lists. They have lists of books, and the kind of questions are the kind that make sense to kids who like to make lists.

If only they had magnet schools for kids with list-making personalities, then there would be perfect places where AR could be truly appreciated.

Well, I'm off to read the entire suite of Cybils finalist books again.

Patricia T. said...

I am in the comment challenge and stopped by your blog. Won't ask you about and AR, but it is new for me. Clicked on your previous posts. Am not a teacher, just a writer. Enjoy the challenge.

Heather Kelly said...

I too was new to the term AR. I would have guessed that it was pirate speak. :)

Glad to meet you, Jim!

Linda Knoll said...

I'm with you on AR!

RachelMaryBean said...

Your posts on AR were interesting, thanks. I read to my daughter's kindergarten class last year for AR, and I let them pick which books we'd do, but I hadn't really thought about it for older students. I agree that you don't want reading to become a chore.

Caryl said...

I first heard of AR when I was teaching 7th grade English. I completely agree that good books kids like to read are a much better motivator. Have you read Kelly Gallagher's Readicide? I haven't, but would like to.

So glad I found your blog. Good stuff!