January 6, 2009

Found and The Maze of Bones


Finished The Maze of Bones over the break but forgot to blog it and just finished up Found last night.  Both are fun middle-aged thrillers kicking off a series.  Bones is by Rick Riodan (of the Percy Jackson series fame) and he apparently has sketched out the arc for the upcoming novels to be written by other authors (including the awesome Gordan Korman).  I won't comment on all the add-ons (game cards, internet sweepstakes, etc.) but just say that the book is funny, thrilling and plain fun.  It is even loaded with great background on world travel, history and art.  There is a respectable stab at turning Benjamin Franklin into a Da Vinci Code-like genius and since Da Vinci never wrote essays on farts, which is remarked upon by one of the characters, and this book doesn't suck I declare it the winner.  Looks like more geniuses will appear, including Mozart.

My wife and I alternated reading aloud chapters of Found to each other.  We do that.  Is that weird?  She laughed because I kept mistakenly calling it Lost since it has a plane and mysterious happenings.  Seems to be about time travel but like Maze of Bones, there's only so much I can say without ruining it for you.  Great stuff--but Haddix has never let me down.

Both books feature brother-sister pairings to appeal to a wider audience and I personally think they would.  Neither has a definitive ending, but then they clearly state that they are Part Ones. So it looks like they have me on the hook for some sequels...

7 comments:

Fuse #8 said...

Just did "Found" will my homeschooler bookgroup. They were fans (thank heavens) but we had a huge discussion on how the publisher probably wanted to draw an inadvertent LOST connection with the title and the plane on the cover.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks! Do kids watch LOST? Great, now I have that Kate/Sawyer cage match image in my head...

kiri8 said...

I don't know if kids watch LOST, but I sure do. Husband and I are waiting eagerly for its return.

Anyway, thanks for the book recommendations. I've gotten very interested in fiction for older kids (although I do still love my Elephant & Piggie books), and I like having books to pass to my 11 year old son. Maze of Bones sounded kind of gimmicky to me; if you say it's not, I believe you, and I'll check it out.

ms-teacher said...

completely OFF topic, but I had to share this link with you because I know how much you'd love it: http://www.fodey.com/generators/animated/ninjatext.asp

It's Ninja text!

Christine said...

No, reading to each other is not weird. My nine year old received "Maze of Bones" for Christmas and loves it. I mentioned that there is a website connected with it, and, alleluia, he said he doesn't want to visit it until he has finished the book in case it spoils something.He hasn't even opened up the trading cards which come with the book.

C. B. James said...

My partner and I sometimes read to each other. I usually do most of the reading, because I am a professional after all. ;-)

Do you think Found is as good as the Among the Hidden books?

Teacherninja said...

Thanks, guys. It's hard to say if Found is as good as Among the Hidden. That one blew me away and now I'm more used to her style. So it's not original in that sense, but it's a relatively original concept and I'm curious to see if these kids turn out to be who I think they are.