May 14, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Gluttony

"Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?" (from BTT)

I certainly buy more than I read, but I try to strike a balance.  I don't know how many books I've owned in my life, but after a few moves it didn't take me long to discover the joys of used book stores.  I could go in with four milk crates full and come out with one in trade.  I'd say I have a couple thousand now and maybe a fourth (if I'm lucky) are unread.  Problem is, I don't know that I'll read all of them.  Some of them tug at me harder than others and I know some of them will probably remain unread.

I try to fix it by going to the library but then the unread purchased ones just glare at me like, "Um, those library books are fine, after you get through all of us bro."

This is also why I'll probably never buy an e-reader.  Unless I could get credit for all of the unread books I've already bought and somehow magically squeeze them into man e-reader, I'll be too busy for the foreseeable future to allow myself to make the switch.

This book thing.  There sure is a lot of guilt tied up in it, eh?

11 comments:

Heather said...

I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I'll go to the library for a book that I'm on the fence about (or that I want to read ASAP, but don't want to pay hard back prices), and I get residual guilt from the TBR books that stare at me from their dusty shelves.

Teacherninja said...

I'm certainly better than I was about buying too many, but it'll be some time before I whittle it down enough, I'm sure.

Thanks, Heather.

anothercookiecrumbles said...

And the guilt is completely uncalled for, but you can't help but feel it... so annoying!

S said...

I buy too many, but I refuse to feel guilty. There are four other people in this house, someone is bound to read them all eventually. And then there are the grandkids and great-grandkids... Books will be my legacy.

Teach On Purpose said...

I love the name, Teacher Ninja!
You must be so much fun in the classroom! Happy end-of-the-year!

Rosco Tango Baker said...

I certainly associate with this post, TN! And to top it off, the wife devours books in no-time flat. Very frustrating for me to watch, especially as I am stuck on the same page for a week.

The true purpose for my commenting on your blog was to give you some insight into the e-reader; get one. I have found that I am able to FLY through books on our Kindle.

The Kindle is convient in so many ways: no fumbling to keep pages in place, it's screen and e-ink is easy on the eyes, light weight and easily stowed, etc..

Teacherninja said...

anothercookiecrumbles: I know! It's so weird...

S: Good for you! I'm getting better about it...

Teach On Purpose: Thanks! I certainly try to keep it fun.

Roscoe Tango Baker: I'd love one, but I'm too tapped out at the moment to justify it. Maybe as a gift to myself when I finish grad school.

Thanks for all the comments!

Kim Kasch said...

Oh I soooo covet a Kindle. . .

I like the idea of loading a dozen books up and carrying them around with me, without throwing out my shoulder. But the price is my sticking point . . . ah, maybe if I can talk my family into getting me one for my birthday. . .

A girl can dream.

Teacherninja said...

Kim: Don't worry. I'm sure the price will come down. Remember when DVD players were $200 and now you can get one for $30.

Rosco Tango Baker said...

TN & KK: understood. And sure enough, albeit not soon enough, the price will come down.

"They" don't give away the Kindle/e-reader - that's for sure! The wife and I split the cost and called it "a Christmas gift to the both of us." That said, we continue to shop the local library...but man almighty, I get pumped anytime I can read a book on the Kindle.

Teacherninja said...

Thanks for that, Roscoe. I'm certainly intrigued by them. They're nice. And so satisfying. But I'm not an early adopter and my wife doesn't seem interested. I didn't get a CD player until the late 80s. I didn't get a DVD player until the 21st C. Cell phone either. I only just got an iPod last year for crying out loud. I'll get an e-reader when there are like 12 or more mainstream choices and they can be had for around $100 or less. Glad to hear they're awesome, though.