Pages

May 14, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Gluttony

"Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?" (from BTT)

I certainly buy more than I read, but I try to strike a balance.  I don't know how many books I've owned in my life, but after a few moves it didn't take me long to discover the joys of used book stores.  I could go in with four milk crates full and come out with one in trade.  I'd say I have a couple thousand now and maybe a fourth (if I'm lucky) are unread.  Problem is, I don't know that I'll read all of them.  Some of them tug at me harder than others and I know some of them will probably remain unread.

I try to fix it by going to the library but then the unread purchased ones just glare at me like, "Um, those library books are fine, after you get through all of us bro."

This is also why I'll probably never buy an e-reader.  Unless I could get credit for all of the unread books I've already bought and somehow magically squeeze them into man e-reader, I'll be too busy for the foreseeable future to allow myself to make the switch.

This book thing.  There sure is a lot of guilt tied up in it, eh?