January 18, 2010

It's Hard to Care


About the book awards today, I mean.

There's this and this and now this burning in my brain.

And it's hard to care about blogging or education/technology when I read something like this.

Sorry for being so morose today.

I spent an hour or more clicking on Motherreader's list of links for the comment challenge but so many blogs are blogging about the same exact things and they seem so into these book awards that it all becomes a blur. Too many exclamation points, silly "book challenges," blog "bling," requests for ARCs and too many Amazon affiliations all in a row.

So I deleted my Amazon link. (I wasn't making anything off of it anyway.) And I love the "Kidlitoshpere" and will keep a link on my blog but I'm deleting the tag.* I don't feel like I blog enough about kid's book right now to deserve it. I'll keep up with the comment challenge because I actually do enjoy some of these blogs and like the habit of trying to comment on other blogs. And maybe I'll get more involved when I become a school librarian.

But, yeah. I'm not in the right place right now to be too excited about much.

I'll try to look for something silly and fun to post about soon to get me out of my Eeyore-like mope.
___________________________________
*update: Kidlitosphere banner back, with plans for some more frequent kid lit. posts. Thank you all for your positive comments!

(image cc flickr)

9 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Yeah, I'm having trouble with the comment challenge today, too, Jim. Although I admit that I did feel compelled to blog about the ALA Awards (mostly because the post will go in my weekly email newsletter, which goes to some people who don't necessarily read blogs), I certainly didn't consider it worth commenting on any of the other 100 posts on the same topic.

Terry Doherty said...

Thanks, Jim! You saved me from bothering to check the comment challenge list today. I do wish you'd wear your badge, though, because I think the Kidlitosphere needs the diversity of content specifically for the reason you mention!

Kathy Martin said...

I have looked at more than 100 blogs today in Google Reader and Bloglines and yours is the first one I commented on. Luckily, yesterday was a big comment day. They should average to five a day, right? I agree that once I had seen the award winners I didn't need to see them 15 more times. I am not getting involved in the cover kerfluffle about Magic Under Glass which seemed to be topic #2 today. And I truly don't care to see a list of what everyone read last week which was topic #3 on my list today. Of course, I'm not really sure what I want to see either. Maybe I'm having an Eeyore day today too.

Kelly said...

I am a children's writer, but my blog isn't always about writing and I'd still consider myself in the kidlit arena. I'm sure yours still qualifies as well.
I, too, skipped many blogs today, because many were the same stuff.

Beth said...

I managed to miss the awards announcement until late evening, so it was fresh the first few times. But if your eyes are on Haiti, it is hard to move on to other things.

How much do your kids know? We don't watch TV, so my elementary aged boys haven't heard much. I hesitate to share distant tragedies with young kids because I think it is hard for them to find balance.

Ms. Yingling said...

I did my obligatory awards post first (soooo irritated), then did my regular blog. My Eeyore complaint this morning is that so many book blogs aren't about books! Is it too much to ask for them to post one review a week? If it helps, I come to your blog more for the comments on education, life observances, and because you once posted that "Ms. Yingling ROCKS!" Hope you feel better.

Kathy said...

I am with you too - I am having a tough year and the news in Haiti is just so awful, then did you read that our Governor is trying to have us take 3 more furlough days before June 30th -
I need some really great, fabulous news to get me out of the funk I am in (that and I need to get over the food poisoning I had this weekend).
Lets hope that this week is better for everyone, that Haiti starts to get some of the aid that they need...

Jim said...

Jen, since you are the round up queen, you have permission. Everyone else should just step back and throw out a link and chat up their favorites. Thanks.

Terry, Thank you for the kind words and I'll reconsider.

Kathy, I'm honored! Hope you get over your grump as well.

Kelly, Thanks. I'll get over myself and get back into the kidlit thing.

Beth, It's been a weird schedule and I'm about to get into ESOL testing so I haven't been able to talk to them about it much. My daughter knows, but I haven't shown her too much imagery. She's helping raise $ for CARE.

Ms. Yingling, Thanks! I feel much better. I do feel more that my blog is about education and reading in general and not so much a "book" blog, but I will try to be better about posting some reviews. I just feel that there's enough of that and I don't want to say anything about say, The Lightening Thief (which I'm reading now), unless I have something more to contribute than "I agree with everyone else that it was awesome." And I've been reluctant to post about my grad school reading because frankly, Dick & Carey's Instructional Design book is bo-ring!

Thanks to everyone for the comments! I really do appreciate it.

Jim said...

Kathy,
Cheers to that!