Pages

November 18, 2010

The Tale of Despereaux

There's no point in my telling you how wonderful this is.  I'm sure you've at least heard of it if not read it for yourself.

But I feel I've been missing a rich vein for blogging when it comes to the read-alouds I share with my daughter.  She was delighted with this one, of course, and it's a perfect read-aloud.  I didn't go crazy with the voices but tried to give the humans slightly more booming voices than the mice/rats.

Jeffrey the Jailer got a kind of dumb-guy Looney Tunes voice.  Roscuro had a kind of Steve Buschemi/Joe Pesci oiliness.  Botticelli Remorso had a soothing Godfather-esque tone.  Cook was a bit Cockney.  Of course Antoinette was the dramatic French lady you'd expect.

The chapters were short, which Harper loves because I can finally say yes to her begging for "just one more chapter!?"  With this one it's more like five or so chapters a night.

It was weird because I finished it with her last night, but I'm only in the middle of it at school with a class.  They were a bit bored today until Roscuro fell into the Queen's soup.  I died dramatically which perked them right up.

P.S. Last book movie combo Harper and I did was How to Train Your Dragon.  Both excellent but very different.  I don't have as high of hopes for the movie version of this one...

The Tale of Despereaux: Special Signed Edition: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread

How to Train Your Dragon Book 1