Pages

August 6, 2012

Day One

Back to school already!  It was a pretty good first day back.  I was much more ready and organized for the first time.  My classes went well, but those 5th graders talk way too much.  Especially for the first day of school.

I have gotten behind in blogging about my reading since pre-planning hit last week and now school.  The two books I've kinda let slip through the cracks are Dune and The Sirens of Titan.  Both very different and very good.  Dune was a book club pick.  I thought I'd read it back in the 80s but must of never finished it because the whole second half didn't seem familiar.  It is a towering achievement but was dense and I had to take breaks in between sections to read lighter things.  Beautiful books, though.

So Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut was a much lighter read after Dune.  It was different than the last Vonnegut I read as well, Breakfast of Champions.  I guess he was younger and not as cynical.  There's cynicism, but hope as well.  It is a wonderful satire of organized religion.  I see why he is compared to Twain so often.

But yeah, it's been a long day and I'm pooped.  I'm not going to go into any detailed analysis of these books other than to say if you haven't read them and you think you might want to some day, yes, you should because they are as good as you've heard.

Now I'm going to go look at more stuff about the Mars Curiosity landing.

Because I love everything about it.

I love this.

I love this.

And, of course, I love this.

Go Curiosity!