August 28, 2013

Librarians that don't like to read out loud?

When school was starting and we were hashing out the schedule for checkouts, one kindergarten teacher asked if I wouldn't mind reading out loud to her students once in a while.  Once in a while?  I plan on reading out loud to them every chance I get!  I wondered why she asked.

She said that in her 20 years of teaching she'd only had three school librarians who had like to read out loud to her students.  Now I don't know how many schools she's taught at or how many school librarians she's dealt with but it's definitely more than three.  I was staggered. No matter what I've done or what I've taught, even adults, I've enjoyed reading out loud.  But especially as a school librarian. I'm forever trying to get teachers to read out loud more.

If you are a school librarian or you know someone who is, remind them to take a break from everything, pull up a chair in front of some patrons, and read something.  Even if it's just an excerpt.

It's like magic.

3 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Noooooooo! I'm one in the no reading aloud camp. So slow. So painful. Not the relationship I have with the written word. I do read a few things out loud, but not many. My mother couldn't stand to be read aloud to, either. My children weren't fans, either. Sorry.

James Chester said...

I read aloud to my sixth graders almost every day for 12 years. Then I changed schools and found the sixth graders there didn't like it at all; they thought read-a-louds were for babies.

But for he last two years I have read The Old Man and The Sea aloud to my seventh graders who really seem to like it. I did it because we didn't have enough books for everyone to take one home, but it turned out to be the way to go.

decaturcomp said...

What some people may fail to realize is that reading aloud is as much for our benefit as it is for theirs.