Pages

August 28, 2013

Librarians that don't like to read out loud?

When school was starting and we were hashing out the schedule for checkouts, one kindergarten teacher asked if I wouldn't mind reading out loud to her students once in a while.  Once in a while?  I plan on reading out loud to them every chance I get!  I wondered why she asked.

She said that in her 20 years of teaching she'd only had three school librarians who had like to read out loud to her students.  Now I don't know how many schools she's taught at or how many school librarians she's dealt with but it's definitely more than three.  I was staggered. No matter what I've done or what I've taught, even adults, I've enjoyed reading out loud.  But especially as a school librarian. I'm forever trying to get teachers to read out loud more.

If you are a school librarian or you know someone who is, remind them to take a break from everything, pull up a chair in front of some patrons, and read something.  Even if it's just an excerpt.

It's like magic.