December 10, 2009

Bookmarking

BTT asks: "What items have you ever used as a bookmark? What is the most unusual item you've ever used?"

I hate dog-earing so I've used just about everything. Money, photos, sticky notes, index cards, business cards, booklights, even the receipts for the books themselves. Oh, and even actual bookmarks. I have a pile of bookmarks from most of the bookstores I've shopped or worked in. I used to like the thick, satisfying dark blue ribbon-shaped bookmarks we gave out at Scribner's.

I think bookmarks are also fun to discover in used books. I've found all kinds of things including other people's family photos in used books. I tend to just keep them in there and use them myself.

But most unusual? I don't know. I can't wait to hear other answers on that one. I did get some of those stretchy wrap around bungee things from Levenger as a gift once, but they get stretched out after awhile and can be a bit cumbersome, but they can be good for travelling to help you keep your book from getting too beat up in your bag.

I guess index cards are the best. You can make notes on them and they're cheap if you lose one. They're also stiff enough to jam in there so they don't fall out.

10 comments:

Victoria said...

I use the hold slips as bookmarks and I rip it the paper as I go to mark pages that I want to reference when I finish reading the book. I often use old envelopes from opened mail. When I ran out of hold slip paper I used the folded up visitor name tag from the elementary school. Then, I ran out of that too, while on my walk at the park, so I used pinestraw that I broke into pieces. So, does the pinestraw win as the strangest?

C.B. James said...

Whatever paper is handy. Though the note card idea is very good. I do have plenty of those around, too.

Teacherninja said...

Victoria, pine straw sounds good. I once left a prescription in a book!

C.B., Whatever paper is right. I just remembered using TP before!

Tina Kubala said...

I, too, love finding interesting items in used books. I recently found a school picture in a copy of Little Women. It looks to be from the early 70s. I keep meaning to scan it to post on my blog.

Michael Taylor said...

My kids frequently use pens as bookmarks. And it annoys me to no end to see the spine all stretched out to fit the pen. Arrghhhh!!

Personally I have a couple Japanese 100 円 bills that I use. But only in books that I own so they don't get accidentally returned to the library.

Teacherninja said...

I love the foreign currency idea! I have some at home I was about to toss cleaning out my desk the other day and my wife stopped me. Ok, I'll hang onto them and just move them over to the bookshelves. cool.

Cathy Nelson said...

I often use the cards for subscribing to magazines as bookmarks. They are plentifu, and daily as students use our mags, they can be found on the floor. I have also used gum wrapper as my bookmark too--it smells good when I reopen my book, and instantly starts a craving.

Teacherninja said...

Cathy, those cards are called "blow cards." The only reason I know that is from working in a chain bookstore doing the magazine section for 6 months. I learned to hate those things, especially the papercuts, but you are right--a never-ending supply of sturdy bookmarks to be had! I like the gum wrapper idea. I often associate different books to the places, smells, and such of where and when I read it. Thanks, Jim

Brimful Curiosities said...

I use Kleenex tissues (unused mind you). The oddest bookmark I found in a used book was a newspaper clipping for a restaurant. (I found it in a cookbook!)

Jim said...

Brimful,

I've used (unused) tissues as well. Yesterday my daughter used one of her belts!