September 16, 2010

Night and Day, Day and Night

From Booking Through Thursday:

“I couldn’t sleep a wink, so I just read and read, day and night … it was there I began to divide books into day books and night books,” she went on. “Really, there are books meant for daytime reading and books that can be read only at night.”
- ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera, p. 103.
Do you divide your books into day and night reads? How do you decide?


It's funny you should ask.  I have just recently become an elementary school librarian and so am obviously interested in reading more children's books.  But the job is a busy one and there's no real downtime, so reading on the job is not an option.  So I've made kid book reading my "homework."  I sit down when my daughter is doing her school work or practicing her piano and read.

So that's my "daytime reading."

But I still have a backlog of grown up stuff I want to get around to.  So that's all on my nightstand.  I can only read for a short time in bed before I conk out, so it might take me months to read one book.  But I don't mind.  It's not like these are the only two things I'm reading.  I read online and listen to audiobooks and blah blah blah.

But right now, it's pretty much kid's books by day, grown up stuff by night.

11 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

I enjoyed your answer.. I think I am a one book at a time reader, whether it is day or night time.

K. Harrington said...

Great answer (and visual). I find that I read more non-fiction books during the day. The best reading for pleasure time always does seem to happen at night.

gautami tripathy said...

Loved your answer!

Like I said elsewhere..I read whatever I am reading anytime!

Here is my Day and Night reply!

resugo said...

so are you enjoying your homework? I love how you split up your reading and am impressed you can keep at it. If it took me more than a few weeks to read a book I'd loose interest and never finish.
Also--LOVE the picture. Awesome

DawnTreader said...

I have the opposite answer. Children's books are my bedtime reading!

Jim Randolph said...

resugo,

Oh, yes. Right now I'm working my way through our county's "reader's rally" list and it has some good books on there. After that I want to just keep up with what the kids are into!

Thanks,
Jim

Lori said...

Cute image. I don't divide my books by day or night. Here is my answer for Booking Through Thursday.

klonghall said...

In the daytime, I tend to read more magazines, news online, maybe even some nonfiction. I like to savor a good story at night, especially at bedtime. Although, I have to be careful not to read anything too intense or I either can't sleep, or I dream wacky things and feel exhausted in the morning. (And, yep, Mockingjay did disturb my dreams more than I imagined. I think it should have been a daytime read. Still, I love Katniss & loved the book.)

kittens not kids said...

Ahhh, there's SO MUCH good literature for children & young adults out there! until very recently, children's & YA books comprised almost ALL of my non-dissertation reading.

ps. love your photo with Stitch securely seat-belted in - are those Aladdin's flying carpets??? [perhaps you can tell I am many kinds of geek all rolled into one]

Jim Randolph said...

klonghall,

Yeah, I was alternating between Mockingjay andRed Mars, so I was feeling pretty bad about humanity and having some really weird dreams!

kittens not kids,
Yes, my wife and daughter rode in the flying carpet ahead of me and my little one made me rife with Stitch so I "wouldn't be lonely." Since I take most of the pictures, this was one of the few of me I had!

betweenthesepages said...

I break up my reading by what I love. The books I feel I have to read, but aren't really into I do during the day and the ones I want to read are at night. It's like the literary version of eating my vegetables first. So my bedtime book may be kids or YA if it's something I'm enjoying, or it may be adult.